Monday 7 October 2013

Life of Pi - Yann Martell (2001)


IT’S ABOUT a philosophical teenage boy lost at sea in a lifeboat for 227 days with only a Bengal tiger for company.


POSITIVES: For me, if a story makes me put the book down for a few moments and think, then it is well written.  I also love animal facts, and Pi (the protagonist) is an expert in that particular field, having grown up in a zoo!  A book can also leap in my rating if I have my perspectives challenged. Life of Pi does this on several occasions, most memorably with Pi’s accounts of animals and zoos.  For as long as I can remember I have objected to zoos (except for conservation purposes) but Pi defends traditional zoos with animals kept in relatively small enclosures, using his wealth of expertise.  I’m not saying I have changed my views, but Pi made me consider them - and that excites me.  But, I digress - this book’s mostly about Pi being stranded at sea…

NEGATIVES: Being stranded, obviously the setting doesn't really change much during the middle of the book, which could be considered dull.  No doubt, Bengal tigers are beautiful things.  As are demi-spheres of unobscured stars reflected in a still ocean, and flying fish, and the savagery of a tropical storm.  All (and much, much more) are beautifully well rendered and presented in the 2012 film adaptation.  Does the movie CGI dazzle brighter than your imagination?  Only you know the answer!  I also found Pi’s incredible story of survival no less remarkable in the film-version, nor the plot twist any less moving.
Trailer for the 2012 film adaptation of Life of Pi, directed by Ang Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment